– This guy is number 1 among those who have ever touched a racket. Genius, more than genius. This is an absolute phenomenon in the history of this planet – this is how Nick Kyrgios assessed Serba over the weekend, this time commenting on the ATP Finals in Turin not from the conference or court level, but in the Tennis Channel studio. The controversial Australian, who has had his way with stars many times in the past (it happened with “Dżok” as well), after what he saw in Italy, had no doubts about the class of the Balkan master.
The way Nole defeated Carlitos, who was hot on his heels in the rankings, really deserved the highest praise. The Spaniard surprised him in the Wimbledon final, and this time he had absolutely no chance. After a series of amazing comebacks from the end line, Novak lost in less than an hour and a half 3:6, 2:6 and had to put his dreams of winning the tournament of champions on the shelf. Nole faced Jannik Sinner for the title. The Italian, who was in great shape and defeated him in three sets in the green group, and eliminated Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-1 in the semi-finals, was helpless this time and lost 3-6, 3-6.
– We live in interesting times – sighed Djokovic. – Those who talked about the decline of tennis after the departure of Federer and Nadal should sleep soundly. We will soon see the new big three: Alcaraz, Sinner and Rune. Each of them represents the values and skills necessary for this discipline. Youth also mobilizes me. I see how much she can do, I feel how strong she is physically. It makes me have to constantly look for new solutions and answers. This generation will take our sport into a beautiful future – says the most successful tennis player in history.
The 36-year-old player from Belgrade is already the only veteran in the lead. There is no rival from his generation around him. There is only one other player in the Top 20 who is over thirty. This is Grigor Dimitrov. The others are ten years or more younger than him. The previously mentioned three are 16, 14 and 16 years old, respectively.
– They grew up in a different world, they had different toys, different heroes and different authorities than me – explained the leader of the ranking. – But it doesn’t bother me, it just gives me energy. At this stage, they are the driving force of my development. They not only encourage you to work out, but also mentally rejuvenate you in some way. I want to compete with them as long as my body allows me to do so, explained Djokovic, whose status in the public space is finally starting to change.
In Turin, thousands of people were waiting for him in front of the hotel where he lives. Before the match against Alcaraz, he devoted a lot of time to them. With old audience favorites Roger and Rafa no longer present, he finds his way into the hearts of fans more and more. Future champions will have to wait for such tokens of respect…
And Djokovic is still breaking records. He has just started his 400th week of reign in the ATP rankings. He finished the season in first place for the eighth time and won the Masters for the seventh time. He admitted that he secretly hopes to catch up with Jimmy Connors. The American won a total of 109 tournaments, Federer 103, his name had the number 97 next to it before the decisive performance in Turin. On Sunday, he improved it by a point.-
– My children came to the semi-final. They took two days off from school. I hope the teachers will forgive. Dad thanks you for your help. They brought me happiness here – said the Serbian No. 1, mentioning Stefan and Tara who were present in the hall.
– When I look at Novak, I see a superman in him – analyzed Alexander Zverev, who, despite two victories in the first phase, was less fortunate and was eliminated from the event on Friday. – He seems even fitter and more stretched than before. All thanks to its inviolable rituals. Working on the body is the basis for him. There is no day or hour when he neglects her. Each of us has weaknesses, and he is constantly in his own regime – the German explained the secret of the tennis king’s longevity.
You can see this secret, i.e. stretching, yoga and all other ingredients necessary for his tennis, in this material.
Now we know how “Dżok” copes on the court, which in theory he should no longer have the right to win…