We call on the 15 illegal members to step down. We call on the entire National Council of the Judiciary to stop its activities aimed at conducting competitions for judicial positions – said Kamila Gasiuk-Pihowicz, MP of the Civic Coalition, before the first meeting of the neo-KRS with new representatives of the Sejm, to which journalists were not allowed. “There are no changes in the National Council of the Judiciary,” wrote Krzysztof Kwiatkowski, senator and member of the National Council of the Judiciary, on Platform X.
The first meeting of the National Council of the Judiciary with new representatives of the Sejm began on Tuesday. These are Kamila Gasiuk-Pihowicz and Robert Kropiwnicki from the Civic Coalition, Tomasz Zimoch from Poland 2050 and Anna Maria Żukowska from the New Left. In the previous term, the seats in the National Council of the Judiciary for representatives of the Sejm were occupied only by PiS MPs.
WATCH THE BROADCAST ON TVN24 GO >>>
Kwiatkowski: The chairwoman of the National Council of the Judiciary did not let journalists in
“The situation in the National Council of the Judiciary remains unchanged: the Chairperson of the National Council of the Judiciary did not allow journalists to enter the Council building (violating the principle of openness of public life – Article 61 of the Constitution). In the meeting room, the rule that representatives of the Sejm sit next to each other was violated. They sat next to each other throughout the entire term. PiS MPs,” said Krzysztof Kwiatkowski, senator and member of the National Council of the Judiciary on the X platform (formerly Twitter).
Earlier, parliamentary representatives organized a press conference in front of the National Council of the Judiciary building, during which Kwiatkowski referred to the decision not to allow journalists to enter the building.
– On behalf of the parliamentary representation, we have taken action so that you can perform your duties normally (…), we have asked you to be allowed into the main hall to perform your duties – said the senator, speaking to journalists.
– I informed the president about this request on behalf of the group of parliamentarians. Madam President, she referred me to the spokesperson. The spokeswoman informed me that she would not make a decision on this matter without the president, and the president no longer answers the phone, he added.
Kwiatkowski said that “it is a scandalous and unacceptable situation to turn a constitutional body into a cabaret.”
– We will make sure that you can perform your duties normally, and not at a tram stop – he added.
KRS spokeswoman: journalists will not be admitted today
TVN24 reporter Karolina Wasilewska asked the spokeswoman of the National Council of the Judiciary by e-mail to let journalists into the premises of the National Council of the Judiciary – in accordance with their rights.
In response, Ewa Łosińska invited her to a press conference to be held on Wednesday. “Today you will not be allowed into the National Council of the Judiciary building,” she wrote.
Before 11 a.m., the tvn24.pl editorial team also asked the spokeswoman of the National Council of the Judiciary about why journalists were not allowed into the building and who made such a decision. We also asked why the meeting was not broadcast online at that time.
Łosińska announced that “the chairwoman announced a technical break, but it has already ended.” “The transmission continues,” she added.-
When asked why journalists were not allowed in, she did not answer. We repeated the question. “We invite you to tomorrow’s press conference at 12:00” – wrote the response sent by the National Council of the Judiciary spokesman.
Gasiuk-Pihowicz: we call on 15 illegal members of the National Council of the Judiciary to resign
During the morning press conference, Kamila Gasiuk-Pihowicz said that “this institution has been poisoning the Polish justice system with neo-judges for the last eight years.” – It led to a huge conflict with the European Union and the loss of billions of EU funds – she added.
The MP said that “15 people (judges) illegally elected by the Sejm are staying here contrary to the Polish constitution.”
– We call on these 15 illegal members to step down. The terms of office of these fifteen are not protected in any way by the constitution, because they were elected in violation of it. However, we call on the entire Council to stop its activities aimed at conducting competitions for judicial positions, said Gasiuk-Pihowicz.
– We call on candidates to withdraw their candidacies and refrain from taking part in these competitions. The choice of these people will be tainted with a legal defect and will not be protected in any way, like any illegal or dishonest action, because lawlessness simply does not give rise to law. Braving your legs and arms is pointless at this point, she added.
Gasiuk-Pihowicz: the days of the neo-KRS are numbered
The KO MP said that “the time of this illegal fifteen in this building is coming to an end.”
– Nothing lasts forever, especially actions that have no legal basis or any moral basis. Today, here in this building, we will raise awareness and call. But soon there will be resolutions, laws and specific actions of the Minister of Justice, she said.
– The days of the neo-KRS are numbered. Today is the beginning of the end of the neo-KRS, she said.
READ ALSO: The National Council of the Judiciary is still “neo”. How much longer?
Politicized National Council of the Judiciary
The National Council of the Judiciary is a constitutional body that is supposed to “guard the independence of courts and judges”, and its main task is to give opinions and present to the president candidates for appointment to the positions of judges in Poland.
The procedure for selecting four members of the National Council of the Judiciary from among the deputies was carried out in accordance with applicable law, but legal doubts are raised by the body itself, the National Council of the Judiciary, formed in accordance with the acts amended by Law and Justice. According to many experts, it is politicized because its 15 judges are appointed by politicians.
Main photo source: TVN24